- The exceptional climate of the archipelago is one of the ten reasons for recommending the Canary Islands as the best destination for rejuvenation while on vacation.
- Whether you are with your family, a special someone, or friends, the seven islands offer the best leisure and active tourism programme for de-stressing.
- The properties of water, the Atlantic breeze, and the perfect combination of sun and sand help revitalise the body and mind.
Canary Islands, June, 2016 – Because of their privileged geographic location, the Canary Islands have been recognised for centuries for the revitalising power of a series of exceptional natural elements that favour an equilibrium between mind and body. Before summer vacation rolls around, the archipelago is revealing its best-kept secret with ten reasons to choose the Canary Islands to shine again and recovering energies that have run down over the winter, by allowing you to release adrenaline and de-stress.
- Eternal spring. The beneficial weather conditions of this enclave have led the Canary Islands to be considered the place with “the best climate in the world” thanks to its mild year-round temperatures averaging 22 degrees. This climate is the perfect excuse for getting into shape inside and out on the beach by combining relaxation with nature activities and every possible outdoor sport.
- Sunlight and vitamin D. The Canary Islands enjoy more than 4,800 hours of sunlight each year, which makes it the vacation destination for rejuvenation with the most hours of sunlight in Europe. Among its many benefits, sunlight has a positive effect on mood and increases vitamin D levels in the body, which in turn helps to fix calcium in the bones. Relaxing under the Canarian sun is not just good for getting a tan, it also helps prevents bone diseases like osteoporosis, and improves other conditions like high blood pressure and muscular pain.
- Year-round energy. The archipelago is a volcanic eruption in the middle of the Atlantic that boasts a pure, energetic and wild habitat. From black or golden sand beaches and crystalline waters to ancient forests, vertiginous cliffs, desert sand dunes, nature parks it is an authentic explosion of emotions that sweep in with an incomparable natural force that recharges your vitality and restores the energy awaiting for you.
- Sand and saltwater baths. Beach sand is infused with the benefits of seawater. So blanketing your body in a layer of sand is an authentic outdoor health and beauty treatment. Bathing in sand heated by the sun has great healing power for rheumatism, arthritis, neuralgia, and obesity. It's also an excellent natural exfoliant and the best surface for walking and exercising the feet, legs, and thighs. Plus, swimming in the sea improves skin conditions like acne and dermatitis, accelerates wound-healing, and helps you eliminate toxins. Natural saltwater pools are another example of the magical spaces created by nature to give free rein to relaxation.
- An open-air spa. The salt water of the Atlantic Ocean contains 89 elements also present in the body, in addition to vitamins, micro-organisms, and a high concentration of salt. Thermal waters with mineral-medicinal properties help detoxify the body, activate circulation, and lower heart rate. In addition to their natural resources, the islands offer a wide range of wellness centres with the latest innovations in treatments and therapies, making the archipelago the ideal destination for combining total relaxation with unforgettable vacations in nature.
- Lying under the stars. The Canarian archipelago is considered one of the best places in the world for stargazing, thanks to having the cleanest and clearest skies in Europe. They're also supported by a law guaranteeing protection of astronomic quality in observatories. In fact, the island is home to the most important complex of astrophysics observatories in the northern hemisphere, with gigantic telescopes installed 2,400 metres above sea level. There are guided tours of the best spots on the planet for contemplating the universe.
- Real trails that seem otherworldly. Their exuberant natural wonders, partly of volcanic origin, seem like something from another world. Walking in nature in the Canary Islands produces a magical and indescribable sensation as you follow trails leading to spots with high geological value that seem undiscovered. From trails through lush laurel forests to routes that end in a sea of dunes or a seemingly lunar landscape, they all lead to spectacular jungle-like scenery, snaking fine-sand dunes, or steep volcanic cliffs. Many of them also cross nature parks and spaces declared World Natural Heritage Sites by UNESCO.
- Fresh air inside and out. The best treatment to help you forget stress is to let yourself be caressed by Atlantic sea breezes. Their high content in mineral salts and negative ions produces anti-oxidant and relaxing effects. Plus, it's very beneficial for your respiratory system and skin, which is deeply nourished and hydrated by the pure air of the trade winds. Experiencing new sensations and taking advantage of the sea breeze while practising outdoor sports increases endorphin production and helps you find your mind-body equilibrium.
- Chill out day and night. In the islands, you'll experience magical nights and days thanks to mild temperatures that invite you to enjoy a drink or romantic dinner on a terrace under a starry sky in an environment where fun is guaranteed. The islands offer a wide range of night spots for sharing unforgettable moments.
- Flavours with a designation of origin. When you try Canarian gastronomy, you can "taste" the archipelago thanks to a cuisine rich in contrasts, with well-seasoned dishes and fresh, healthy ingredients resulting from a temperate climate and volcanic soil that gives the food a special flavour. Canarian cuisine features “papas arrugadas” with "mojo picón". And island cuisine also tastes like the sea, thanks to the great variety of fish species found off its coasts, such as parrotfish, grouper, and Atlantic wreckfish. Canarian bananas are another great international ambassador for the islands' agricultural products. It's one of the most complete fruits in existence. Cheese and wine with designation of origin are the finishing touches for the most discriminating palates.
About the Canary Islands
The Canary Islands is the place with The best climate in the world for enjoying exceptional holidays any time of the year. Seven different and unique islands, perfect for disconnecting from your daily routine, recharging your batteries and returning home feeling physically and mentally refreshed. The beaches, volcanic landscapes, lively and hospitable lifestyle and the possibility of choosing from all sorts of outdoor activities, as well as a wide range of quality accommodation and leisure activities, mean that the majority of visitors repeat the experience more than once.
About Promotur Turismo de Canarias
Promotur Turismo de Canarias, an entity attached to the Department of Tourism, Culture and Sport of the Regional Government of the Canary Islands, oversees the promotion of the Canary Islands tourism brand. Created in 2005, the main goal of this public company is to study, promote and market the huge tourist offer the Canarian archipelago affords, in conjunction with the other institutions on the islands related to the tourist sector.